Here's a useful article written by Denise Taylor of Sitesell Answers. Great advice here for both novice and seasonsed Internet Marketers.
Five Easy Tips to Increase Traffic and Earnings
Many people want to establish an Internet presence to supplement their income or phase out their day job. Both of these objectives are perfectly reasonable if you take the right approach.
The first obstacle people face when going online is getting traffic. Most people can get a site up and running, but many struggle with getting traffic to their pages. Choosing the proper keywords, link building and creating high-quality, useful content are the standard fixes for accelerating traffic to a page.
Once you start getting traffic, though, how you treat your visitors can make all the difference. Here are five tips to optimize your visitor experience.
1. Give your visitor what he/she wants. If your page is about red wagons, make sure the content on that page contains high-quality, original content on red wagons. Don't use keywords to lure or fool your visitor with information about some other topic. Search engines frown upon this.
2. When choosing between your visitors' experience and making money, side with what is best for or will please your visitors. You will be rewarded for making your visitors happy and search engines do notice.
3. Know your target audience. The more you know and understand your visitor, the more you can step inside his/her shoes, anticipate their needs and provide what they are looking for.
4. When writing sales copy for your site or blog, use the knowledge in number three to put yourself in your visitors' shoes. What products are they looking for? What do they need? What are their concerns? Knowing this information can make it easier to convert traffic to sales.
5. How does your site or page look? Is it filled with annoying ads or spammy content? As the Internet ages, people tend to accept excessive advertising on the Web. However, less is more when it is done well. Conveying a valuable message and carefully placing monetization offers is much more effective. It can improve credibility as well.
The key principle is to truly connect with your visitor in ways that are engaging, valuable and real. Creating a site or blog filled with dead or mechanically created content might get you more pages, but it will not help generate sales or develop a following.
Think of your favorite shopkeeper or restaurateur. Do they greet you and spend time to make sure you are finding what you need and enjoying your experience? Or do they shove you along, forcing you to experience things you don't like? Undoubtedly, you will prefer the place where you are treated like a king or queen.
If you like these things, so do your visitors. Why not give them what they need and want. Your site will spread by word if mouth, search engines will like you and you will find monetizing a much easier and rewarding.
Denise Taylor is a representative for SiteSell Answers and helps people on the Internet expand their e-businesses. She works to correct misconceptions about Site Build It! and the Site Build It Scam Google bomb.